Friday, July 20, 2007

Chumby - Hackable Clock with Wi-Fi?

Check this out.  A San Diego firm is working on an mini clock radio that has Wi-Fi and runs Linux.  The 266 MHz processor is faster than some of the PDA's of a few years ago.  This device comes with its own customized leather case and is completely hackable.  I am not sure what to think about this device but if it has the right price I'd probably pick one up.  News, weather and music right by your bedside. 

You can check out the device at the Chumby website.   You can apply to be one of the first 50 products testers.  I just signed up and I hope to get picked to do some hacking.

2 comments:

ilovenicotine said...

It looks cool for sure. But for $140 on woot.com my 770 is the best bedside device. I wrote a little app that's my alarm clock, weather, and morning traffic. The Chumby already has some competition...

slipstick said...

I was hoping I would get a test model to comment on. No response as of yet.

Interested in sharing your application? Sounds like that could be built upon.